What Is VRI?
VRI stands for Video Remote Interpreting – which refers to reaching a language or ASL interpreter over a videophone call. VRI marries the benefits of face-to-face interpretation with the on-demand nature of over-the-phone interpretation (OPI). In a standard VRI situation, there are two parties in a single location experiencing a communication barrier. They use a videophone device (such as a webcam, tablet or smartphone) to place a call to an interpreter at a second location. The interpreter assists with the communication barrier and once everyone is satisfied the call is terminated and the interpreter is free to take more calls from different locations. VRI is an effective language barrier solution because it is instant, mobile, and economical. Stratus Video is an industry leader in VRI. Our interpreters are available 24x7x365, are all medically certified, and can connect with the dialer in less than 30 seconds.
The Benefits of VRI
- Visual interpretation: The majority of our communication is non-verbal; OPI does not account for non-verbal cues but VRI does.
- Immediate connection: Callers no longer have to wait for an on-site interpreter. With VRI a reliable, face-to-face interpreter can be reached in under 30 seconds. This is ideal for unexpected communication barriers or emergency situations.
- Economical: VRI saves the provider a significant amount of money, since they no longer have to pay for interpreter travel time or off-hour rates, allowing them to stretch their budget further to serve the LEP community.
The Benefits of Stratus Video
- Highly Qualified Interpreters: All of our interpreters have had at least 1-3 years of professional interpreting experience and hold a variety of certifications (see our Interpreter Qualification page for details).
- Private calling: Through a Virtual Private Network (VPN) all of our calls are private and encrypted – this allows our healthcare clients to maintain HIPAA compliance.
- Many languages are offered: Stratus Video has a large variety of languages available for interpretation over VRI, and our selection is constantly growing!
- No contract minimums: With Stratus Video you pay for the minutes you use, when you use them.
- Equipment provided: If you don’t already have a videophone system in place, we can set you up with iPads, stands, speakers, and everything else you need to implement VRI at your facility! The Stratus solution can be loaded on to any computer, laptop, tablet, or smartphone.